• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting into bodybuilding...

JointsNRoaches

Bluelighter
Hey,
I'm very keen to join the gym and get into bodybuilding. I dont want to be huge and take streoids or anything but I definately want to work my way towards an attractive physique and improved fitness. I have a few friends that are into it and look good but talking to them is difficult if you are like me and have no idea where to start. Also, if I have any chance of getting anywhere with this, I think Il need quite a regimented workout and diet.

Im looking for anything from iphone apps to websites with good guides to supplements, workouts and diets. The stricter the better until Im experienced enough to work it all out myself. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
Js&Rs

Hey man...congrats on getting started. I was in a similar situation as yourself a while ago. Luckily a friend of mine is a personal trainer/bodybuilder, and he's been a great help.

A good start would be to set goals for yourself. What do you want to accomplish? I'm assuming a general goal for you would be to lose fat and gain muscle?

For me, I didn't start seeing proper results until I took nutrition seriously, and improved my form. I was working out a few days a week, lifting and cardio, but still eating like shit and not seeing any results. Since April 2010 I lost a little over 40 lbs and put on a decent amount of muscle by hitting the gym 6 days a week, consuming one gram of protein for every pound of my weight per day, cutting out sweets and soda completely.

As far as suppliments go, I take a multi-vitamin, NO-Xplode before workouts, and a scoop of Whey before and after each workout. Every other month I'll 'cycle' a natural testosterone booster, like ArimaTest or T911 (can be found at GNC or any suppliments shop). Coming off of years of opiates, and being the only male in my literally all female workplace, my T was way down.

I'm not an authority on this, but what works for me is hitting a muscle group each day, and a half hour of cardio after. Since my chest needed improvement the most, I hit chest 2x a week (one day lower/middle, the other day upper/outer). I do abs on the day I don't lift.

When you first start out it's tempting to use guided machines like the nautilus and things like that. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you're just starting I'd suggest using free weights and barbells, because that way you'll learn proper form. Like I said above, learned from my personal trainer friend, form is everything. And remember... you're doing this for you, so never sell yourself short or cheat yourself. After a month or two you'll start to see a little results and all those days you were too tired, didn't feel like going, didn't feel like doing that extra set, etc... will be worth it. It's always worth it! Especially with the winter coming up, it could be easy to skip a few days or slack... so stay focused!

Hit the gym with one of your buddies and see what they do. Or, put a side a few dollars and get a few training sessions with someone who works at your gym. Another good way to learn proper form is to start small, light weight, and go real slow. I'm talking on a bench press for example, like 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up kinda thing.

Also, find what works for you, and just do it. There is so much different info on how to lift, what to take, etc... out there that its really overwhelming.

To make a long post short, I'll stress again... nutrition, and form!

Congrats on the change man. I hope you get the results you want.

Last edited:
RM-RF made and awesome post in here a while ago on proper form and nutrition. Maybe he remembers what thread it was in.

I think workout are more effective after a very vigorous warm up. IE you should be out of breath and sweating by the time you start your lift.

good luck!

dont bother with things like No-Explode and superpump, theyre quite bad for you. people have reported liver problems, heart palps, anxiety. Creatine is worth while taking though

Shit man, can you link anything about that? I switched from NOX to Superpump last month and take 2 scoops daily. Could you recommend an alternative?

READ THIS

Especially in the beginning it is all you will need. I also like www.exrx.com for new exercises, but I really advise you to start with scooby... I have spammed his site at least three times on this forum :)

you don't really need any of the fancy supps when you've only just started. one or two no_doz before going to the gym should be plenty for an energy kick, but be sure to drink lots of water to maintain hydration. once you get into a routine, you will have a natural energy to go.

squat often and always do compounds before isolations.

1 rep with perfect form outranks 10 with poor form.

cant think of anything else :\

I've had this book recommended a few times but haven't read it yet: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (2nd ed) by Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore.

That should cover all of your initial needs. Otherwise if you're looking to workout outside of a gym environment you could look into kettlebells (though you really need to be trained to use them properly from what I've heard)? If so check out the books by Pavel Tsatsouline.

READ READ READ. There is so much information out there. And please don't neglect nutrition and think just lifting weights will cut it. It is the most important aspect of bodybuilding.

Eat and then when you are done start eating again. Now people will tell you eat clean, yeah but just eat .Wake up and eat a bowl od cereal .Have a slice of toast with an egg and a slice of cheese. Throw backa handful of nuts. Two hours later eat a yogurt , an apple. A protein bar. A good lunch. Meat and veggies potato. Another snack again.; A good dinner. Meat /chicken/ fish veggies and rice/potato/ pasta. Finish with Cottage cheese and fruit before bed. Do this every day and workut every other day and you will be on your way. If oyu can put that together, just getting the meals insisde you for the first tthree weeks and getting to the gym every other day.You are on your way to a routine. Then you can say I want to know what I eat every week. But just start by getting the good food into you. And PS If you think that's hard forget about bulking up. Also buy a gallon of milk each day and try and drink ALL of it if you can.(start with whole milk...plenty of fat too. you can change to 2% or 1% later.)

Weights. Chest one day rest day Back next day Rest Day Legs next day Rest Day Shoulders next day. Rest day. Rest days 30 mins cardio at least.

All lifting should be compound exercises. Lift heavy and reps betqween 6-10 x 3 sets plus Two warm up sets) Two to three exercises per bodypart. No more necessary. Don't spend more than 90 secs between sets. Get in and get out. If you can do all that for a month you won't reccognize yourself. And I didn't mention a goddamn calorie.

Last edited:
all my honesty, sqitch your diet to olettuces, spinnach, cabbage (juice if idealy, chew your fruits in the morning before and whilst your at the gym and have your green veggie smoothys after... do as i say noit what i do

avocado and HEMP SEEDS are some super foods, take a few hours at least after fruit

progressive overload

rest

nutrients (proper macros per meal and timing meals to coincide with hunger cues)

hormones

growth factors (IGF1, IGF2)

If those are all in check then you will grow muscle.

squat often and always do compounds before isolations.

1 rep with perfect form outranks 10 with poor form.

You mentioned you don't know much about all the lingo to do with bodybuilding. This means you might not know the what a compound exercise is vs a isolation exercise.

A compound exercise is one that involves multiple joints. Good examples of things to include are the squats mentioned above, deadlifts, bench press, military press and pull ups. As said above one good repetition of an exercise is better than a lot more done poorly even before you consider the risk of an injury that could stop your plans.

As a beginner I would be watching a few videos or reading books on how to do those exercises well and then asking a few of your mates how to put them together to create an effective plan for you. Keep in mind you'll have to keep adjusting your plan as you go along since your body will adapt.

I'm personally not a big fan of isolation exercises but lots of people are. They are as the name implies an exercise that isolates a single muscle. You tend to be working less muscle in the same amount of time but you are definately focused on that muscle and may see faster results in that particular area. This sort of thing does get some single minded people into trouble however. The body is designed to work as a single complementary unit and have balanced strength. So biceps should be worked as much as triceps and lower body as much as upper body etc.